Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Ah, I see that you're Mormon….

Hellooooo!
This past week has been quite the week!  We were feeling really sad about Mickele because she told us after our lesson on Tuesday that she had been feeling really overwhelmed and pressured about her baptism.  We had been trying to help her and give her suggestions so she could be baptized sooner than July, because she's so ready.  We felt bad because she was feeling stressed about it, and after we talked with her, we were both feeling really upset.  We were also just frustrated with the work here and feeling like nothing we've been doing is helping.  We asked our District Leader to give us blessings, and when he did, I didn't really feel any better..which is really weird because blessings always comfort me.  But then my District Leader told me to read D&C 122:7-9, and I knew that's what I was waiting for.  I know that the Savior has gone through everything we ever have, are, or ever will go through.  He really does know how we feel.  He volunteered His life for us, because He loves us.  Nothing we ever experience is beyond what He can help us repair.  My testimony of the Atonement and our Savior has increased so much these past few weeks.  He is there, and He is real.  
In other news, we've been having lots of Family Home Evenings to help the members here get excited about doing missionary work!  They've been going really well.  We have also been able to talk to lots of people outside since the weather has been SO BEAUTIFUL.  We saw one man who we almost had an appointment with sitting outside on his lawn.  He looked really worried so we asked him if there was anything we could do to help.  We also asked why he wasn't there when we came for our appointment and if we could just meet right then, but he said he was too stressed and needed to think.  So we prayed with him and gave him a Restoration pamphlet.  I know we saw him for a reason.  We had the car last week, and we just felt that we should walk around the block that night.  We also felt we needed to turn onto his street (without knowing it was his street) and there he was!  So maybe he'll call us sometime :) We've also been contacting everybody in our area who has been taught in the past but wasn't baptized.  No one has been home yet, but that's okay.  We'll keep trying.  I guess people actually have lives and jobs during the day :) weird, right? 
Our first music night is this week!  It's going to be a cross between Name That Tune and Jeopardy :) it's called "In Tune (with the Spirit)" and we're going to play songs that are in harmony with the For the Strength of Youth pamphlet.  We're even going to have some live performances!  Our categories are Hymns, Disney, Instrumental, A Capella, and Other Uplifting songs.  We are so excited for it.  We have other music nights set up too, with the idea that the youth will invite their less active and nonmember friends to come so they can feel the spirit through music.  Hopefully one of us won't get transferred this week!  Sister Lewis and I have decided that we planned to be companions in the pre-existence. 
We had lots of funny and amazing experiences this week.  Including:
- One man we're teaching told us he had received answers to his prayer about a job offer (he cried through the whole lesson)
- We heard about a movie the church is making, called Meet the Mormons.  It's supposed to come out right after conference.
- We taught seminary classes this week, which was super fun!  And it wasn't early morning seminary- BONUS! 
- A Brother told us that he can sense when we come in the building before he even sees us because of the spirit we bring!  And another Sister told me that she can feel my testimony through my singing :)
- A ten year old boy opened the door when we knocked, looked at us, and said: "Ah, I see that you're Mormon....we too believe in Joseph Smith" 
- We ate dinner with some really nice nonmembers, and I sang for them.  After the song their twelve year old son came upstairs and his mom said "Can you guess who was singing?" and he said "the white one" (I was wearing a white sweater, but it was just so perfect) 
- We met some people that just moved into the 7th ward and they were so nice!  They let us take pictures with their Camaro (this one's for you, Dad- he wanted me to ask you what year yours was- his was a 69- they are less active and want us to come back to see them.
- I'm sure there's more but I just can't remember!
I love being a missionary.  Things always work out and Heavenly Father really is mindful of all of us.  He wants us to be happy, He wants us to feel His love. 
Have a wonderful week!
Sister Wight 
           
OH- I wanted to recommend "Truth Reflects Upon Our Senses" for Sacrament meeting.  We sang it the other day, its a classic ;) I was trying so hard not to burst out laughing.


***Oh, boy, where do I start with this week's letter--I especially liked the 12-year-old's comment--"the white one"  maybe we'll just start calling Leslea that after she gets home.  Nothing like pale skin:)  The hymn reference was because I just got an additional calling (besides Family History--Ward Music Chairman--which means one of my jobs is to pick the hymns every week.  They probably didn't realize they gave this calling to someone with a sense of humor about hymns.  Needless to say, I think we'll have some interesting things.  Sometimes the hymns are trying to rhyme so much that the phrases end up sounding like something Yoda would say.  I didn't really remember "Truth Reflects Upon Our Senses" but after Leslea's letter I went and played it on the piano and read the words.  If you read it make sure to read the words to ALL the verses.***



Picture in the Camaro--I think all missionaries should get one of these.  It might attract more investigators:)



This picture is at a "neighborhood cotton candy party"--is this a Utah thing?  haha

No comments:

Post a Comment