Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Pearls of wisdom from Star Wars...



Well Hello Everybody!
This past week was pretty great!  I want to wish Dad a very Happy Father's Day and hope he had a great day :) It's pretty bogus that I don't get to facetime for Father's Day, too. I also want to wish Mom a very very Happy Birthday next Monday!  I hope you have a wonderful day and remember that it's all about you and your birthday:)  Also, next week we get to go to the Temple (finally!) so my pday will be changed to Tuesday, and I'm not sure what time I'll be emailing because we're going to the Temple in the morning. 
Of course the highlight of my week was Mickele's Baptism.  Brother Butterfield (one of our fantastic Ward Mission Leaders) filled the font for us, but we all realized the morning of the baptism that we didn't have the key to turn on the water to fill up the font.  So we texted everybody that might have those keys, but all of the men were away at something called Camp Helaman (a camp for priest age young men in preparation for their missions).  We ran over to the church but Brother Butterfield had just borrowed the keys from the people who were cleaning the church.  So that was a relief!  We cleaned up the room and Brother Butterfield was cleaning the mirror above the font with a mop because he couldn't reach it with his arms.  It was pretty funny :)   

Mickele's whole family showed up, many of which are inactive or not members of the church.  The spirit was so strong and when I was singing "Come Unto Christ", I saw Mickele's brother (who is a big dude) crying and some other nonmembers crying as well.  As I was singing, I was feeling the Spirit big time.  The words of the song are so powerful and I just felt overwhelmed with love from Heavenly Father and our Savior, Jesus Christ.  I couldn't finish the song because I was crying.  I never cry when I sing!  It was a really special moment.  Mickele told us afterwards that her brother told her he's next ;) Sister Lewis gave a talk on the Holy Ghost, and something she said really struck me.  She said that the kind of happiness we experience in this gospel isn't like any other happiness.  When we feel the spirit, we are only feeling a TINY part of how we can feel for eternity.  I know that this gospel is true.  I know that this work cannot be stopped!  People want the happiness that only this gospel brings.  I am so happy to have been a part of Mickele's experience.  After she was confirmed, I looked over and she was beaming through her tears :) She looked radiant!  She looks so much happier than when I first met her about 3 months ago.  I am so excited for her and her family, as well.  She is going to be such a good example to them.  

I'll attach some pictures so you can see :) it was amazing. 
Now, to explain the quote:
"Do or Do Not, There is No Try"-I know Yoda said it, but it has actually been running through my mind.  A lot of the time I think we find ourselves saying "Yeah, I'll try" or "I'll try to do that" or "Yeah, maybe.  I can definitely try!" throughout our lives when we are asked to serve and love those around us.  I know I've said it many times.  And we should try!  But a Sister in our stake told us that we need to DO.  We need to act.  We need to step up and reach out to everyone around us.  So that's why Yoda's wise words have been in my head so much:)  When a leader or member asks us to do something, I do it!  I know that as we diligently do the things that we are asked, Heavenly Father will bless us and others will see how much we care for them, and how much their Father in Heaven cares for them.  I love being a missionary.  I love serving others and serving the Lord.  The Savior lives and He loves us!

Have a wonderful week!
Love,
Sister Wight 


***Oh, the sage words of Yoda--who knew all those times we watched Star Wars it would benefit Leslea on her mission (haha).  I was so happy to read this letter and see how Leslea (along with her companions and the investigators she teaches) are feeling the change the Spirit of Christ can make in their lives.   





Dear Brother and Sister Wight,

     I am excited to say that I got to spend the morning with your sweet daughter.  She has been teaching Mickele, my oldest son's girlfriend-and today was her baptism.  You have raised an amazing young women.  She is doing a great job and is where she should be right now in her life.  She sang today while her former companion, Sister Lewis played the piano.  There were many tears and the spirit was so strong.  Sister Wight even got a little emotional when she was singing.  I am so grateful for all that she did in Mickele's conversion process.  We are so blessed to have her in our area.  She is doing a great job and is changing many lives.

     I am glad that she is still in our area.  I love having the Sisters because I get to give them lots of hugs and tell them that I love them.  So know that she gets lots of hugs.

Love always,

Sister Natalie Wilder





No comments:

Post a Comment