Saturday, October 26, 2013

Ninjas, the spirit of levity, and "Sister Awesome"

Hi, how are ya?!  (standard Utah Mormon greeting)

We just visited the 9-year-old who just got baptized to give him the first new member lesson and we walk into the family room and there he is sitting in his ninja costume for Halloween-complete with mask and everything.  He kept it on for the whole lesson except, of course, when he said the closing prayer:)

Tonight we drove up to the Bishop's house (not the bishop of a ward, a family with the last name Bishop) and started talking to this guy who was smoking a cigar on the porch.  He said he was trying to quit smoking and he's got it down to one cigar a day.  He then proceeded to burn us each a CD of some music he made himself.  I was a little wary of what might come out of the CD player but he's actually pretty good.  His beats and style of music kind of reminded me of Erasure...kind of.  He has a nice tone.  We're going back next week and they want me to sing for them--his mom heard me sing in church.

I'm not sure how long sister companionships stay together because Pres. Chambers is pretty new, so people don't know how he rolls yet.  Sister Davis, Sister Smith and I are the only ones over the Sandy Granite Stake.  I've actually only been tracting once for about half an hour-but Pres. Chambers really doesn't want us to tract.  It's not even effective here since literally every other house is a member.  So I doubt we'll have to very much.  We just try to get referrals from members.  We hear a lot of excuses when we ask for referrals, but the members are really stepping up now because of conference and how much it focused on missionary work.  We have an awesome ward mission leader in the Willow Hills ward who is issuing Elder Ballard's challenge to the whole ward-which is to ask just one person to take the missionary discussions.  We are so excited to see what happens!

Sister Davis usually drives because she knows the area and she hasn't been able to drive until this transfer, so I just let her do her thing.  I'm not really sure why we have a car-but probably for Sister Smith-because our area is seriously a square mile.

What has surprised me so far is probably how often people forget we have an appointment with them, cancel, don't show, or just don't answer the door.  Although that shouldn't really surprise me, it has.  Also, people just start either telling us their life story or give us excuses as to why they're not doing what they're supposed to do.

I'm pretty sure I have the spirit of levity already--haha (insert explanation here--when Paul was on his mission, the mission president's wife once told him "Elder Wight, you have the spirit of levity"  this was not a compliment--but we have been joking about it for a long time.  Sometimes you have to have a sense of humor on a mission!)

I've loved being able to study the scriptures in depth.  Dad-maybe someday my scriptures will be as pink and marked up as that one quad you have!  One of my newest favorites is Enos 1:27.

Love,
Sister Wight


--Leslea's return address on this letter she sent was "Sister Awesome"--clearly she has the spirit of levity-haha

No comments:

Post a Comment