Monday, January 20, 2014

Doves, dolphins, and the absence of pants (again)

This past week has been so crazy but so wonderful!  We had a lesson with one of our less active families and the Dad has a Native American heritage, and he has been telling me that he has to find my animal totem.  So he said he finally found out what I am- and I'm a dove.  My qualities are supposed to include peace, gentleness, love, spirit messenger, and cross-world communication.  But Sister Garretson was a dolphin, so you know ;) 

We went by one of our former investigator's home to see him and rang the doorbell.  He didn't answer but we felt we should leave him a sticky note, and while we were still there he answered the door and we ended up talking for about a half hour.  He invited us back for a lesson and we are so excited!  New Investigator!  :D Also, after church yesterday (our many sacrament meetings) someone called us and said he has someone for us to teach!  I remembered later in the day that I had dinner with his family and that his girlfriend came who's not a member, and we think that's who wants to take the discussions!  I am just so excited- we have seen so many miracles, and I just want to work my hardest so that more will come :)

Last Friday Sister Chambers came out with us for a few hours and it was really fun.  She is the sweetest person ever, and it was nice to visit people with her there.  I'll attach a picture that she took of us while we were going down the most treacherous staircase in Sandy.  It is seriously an ice slide.  We also went by another potential investigator's house last week and his daughter answered the door.  We didn't realize until halfway through the conversation that she wasn't wearing any pants...I have no idea why this keeps happening to me.  You'd think people in the dead of winter in Utah would want to wear some clothes.  

Anyway, we had another neat experience.  A family gave us a referral that was supposed to be a older couple, but when we knocked on the door a guy answered the door that was probably college age.  We had a really interesting conversation and he actually ended up asking for a Book of Mormon so he could read it again.  He grew up LDS but now he says he's agnostic, and that his parents are Anti. I'm so glad that we followed through and visited that referral, because you never know who's going to be behind that door.  

Lets see what else has been happening.....  it has been such a busy transfer, especially since we've been trying to find 3 new investigators per week.  Transfers are next week already!  I think Sister Garretson and I will both stay here.  At least I hope so, now that we finally have investigators!  Sister Smith is doing really well- we went by last week to see her and she walked up to the front door!  She has a walking cast now, but it will probably be another transfer until she's anywhere close to coming back out.  She seems to be doing a lot better though :) she looks happy.  I miss her- she is so sweet and cute.  

I hope everything at home is going well.  It sounds like it will be fun to have Gary there :)  Hopefully the cold snaps stop, too.  Virginia is just coming up with ridiculous names to pass the time now ;)  How's Juke doing?  

I'll have to tell you about Ian sometime.  He wrote Sister Garretson and I songs, and mine is about courage.  He does his own music, so you can imagine how his songs are ;) I want you to hear them, but I definitely want to be there when you listen to them, so it'll have to wait until I get home -hahaha.  

Anyway, I hope all is well.  I have been learning a lot about myself and about aligning my will with my Heavenly Father's will, and trusting in Him.  I am so grateful to be here and I love serving the Lord and His children.  I am so amazed at how fast the time is flying by!  I hope it is for you, too.  I love you and miss you.  Read this--it has meant a lot to me this past week and I just keep thinking about it.  
Mosiah 2:41

Love,
Sister Wight :) 


PS I'll take some pictures of the District tomorrow at our District Meeting so you can see them :)




***The "dove qualities" do fit Leslea pretty well, but I had to laugh at "cross world communication"   Maybe that will come in handy… Sister Chambers is the Mission President's wife.  I'm sure it was great to have her with them.  Here in Virginia we keep having these cold snaps that they call "polar vortexes"  huh….what?  I cannot wait! to hear the song about courage:)  I'm mad it's not going to happen  until Leslea gets home:(  The scripture Leslea included in this letter will be the weekly scripture.  I love how she says in every letter that the time is flying by for her (which is great) but I think it actually gets slower for me.  Maybe I'm in an alternate universe where time moves slower--too bad I don't possess the ability for "cross world communication" and I could let someone know to speed it up already!  Maybe I'm living in a polar vortex…sigh...***




No comments:

Post a Comment