Thursday, December 26, 2013

Yayyy Face Time!!!!

Well, since we got to Face Time with Leslea for Christmas, she didn't email a letter this week so I'll just recap our visit with her.

For a while at first we couldn't get Face Time to work, so we were just on the phone for a bit while we tried to fix it.  Eventually we got it working and the minute we were able to actually see each other we started crying--luckily that didn't last long and we were able to talk:)

I sent the stocking Leslea has always had at Christmas in her box and her favorite stuffed animal from basically when she was born.  I was hoping to get some "home" to her for the first time we were apart for the holidays.  She said she started crying when she saw them, so I guess it worked:)

Her new companion is Sister Garretson, who is from Florida and just joined the church a little over a year ago.  She is the first and only member in her family.  Sister Garretson also went to BYUI last year and even had the same track as Leslea.  She's also a singer, but not for her major.  She is fresh from the MTC, so now Leslea is a trainer.  She said it is a little daunting and a lot of responsibility, but she is working hard:)

Unfortunately, they are not going to be able to have Sister Smith with them for several weeks because she broke her ankle in 3 places last week.  It was Sister Garretson's first day and they were coming out of someone's house they had been teaching and Sister Smith slipped on the ice.  She had some trouble walking anyway under normal conditions, so this was bad news:(  Leslea was really upset about that, but they are going to visit her often.

I was so excited to talk to Leslea that it's all a blur now and I'm trying to remember everything as I write this--hopefully I'll remember enough:)  They are the only sisters in their district and they are the only missionaries in the stake, which has 7 wards.  They have 7 ward councils on Sunday and they pick a couple of wards to go to each week.  She said they have had 1 zone conference so far and that her mission president is "really close to the white handbook"  I guess he is pretty strict and has them working hard, but Leslea loves him and says he is sweet and very smart.  President Chambers was a religion professor at BYUI before coming to this mission in July.

She says the members feed them all the time and are really nice.  I have to agree--someone is sending us emails, pictures, texts, etc.  it seems like every few days.  We love it because it helps to feel like we are kind of involved and keeping track of what's going on.

Leslea was really excited this week because they found a family (mom and 3 kids) who just moved there from Pennsylvania.  They are not members, but the mom's boyfriend is a member.  Leslea said their first lesson was incredible and they all went around in a circle and said prayers afterwards.  She said the Spirit was so strong that everybody was crying by the end.  She said it was the best lesson she has ever had.  They are really hopeful for this family, so we'll see what happens.  They are still teaching/meeting with the other investigators they had previously.

She said they have a lot of study time in the mornings--because her first companion was training her and they had study time for that, and her companion had language study because she was waiting for her visa for Argentina.  Leslea had her own personal study while Sister Davis was doing that, and now Leslea is training Sister Garretson, so extra study time:)

The afternoons are taken up with their investigators and part-member/less active members--teaching and visiting them.  Then they have dinner and go out again until it's time to go home.  They they plan for the next day and fall into bed--which is funny to me because Leslea is a total night owl-she must have to be really tired to go to bed at 10!

We asked her what the most surprising things have been.  She said that before she left she thought one of the hardest things would be actually teaching, but that has turned out to be pretty easy because the Spirit helps her.  She said the hardest thing has been just seeing people (especially less active members) not claiming the blessings they could have.  She said it's really difficult seeing how happy people could be and them not recognizing/taking advantage of the Savior's presence in their lives.

Leslea looks happier than she has ever been, and I can really see a difference in her due to the responsibilities that missionaries have, and the companionship of the Spirit.  She says the time is going by quickly (I wish I could say the same) and that she loves it.

Right now my mind is blank and I can't remember anything else at the moment, so I will just post some pictures and messages :)
Now begins the countdown until Mother's Day……….



Hello Wight Family. My name is Corey and I am the YM president in our ward. I have had the opportunity to get to know your sweet missionary for the last several weeks as she has served in our stake. She is AWESOME!!!

I wanted to send you a couple of photos that we took of SIster Wight and her new companion SIster Garretson. Wednesday night we invited the sisters to come and join the youth to put together treat plates and then go through our neghborhood singing Christmas carols to in active and non-members. Your daughter is so sweet and kind to all. The youth loved having the sister missionaries with us. It was a huge bonus for us as well to find out that both the sisters have great voices. It was a needed addition to our group. We had to wait until both sisters were at the door before we could start to sing as they made us sound great.

Thank you so much for sharing your daughter with us!!! She is a great missionary and a blessing to have her helping all of us in our stake.

You have raised a great daughter and a hard working servant of the Lord.





Hello Sister Wight…Just thought you'd like to see a picture of your cute missionary daughter and her new companion, Sister Garretson.  We love having your daughter serving in our area!  She's awesome!--Michelle


****I'm not sure what Leslea is doing in the second picture??  Shooting up your nose probably isn't the wisest decision:) ….Charlie's Angles would be ashamed****

No comments:

Post a Comment